Uninsured And Underinsured Motorist Claims

In today’s world, even a seemingly minor accident could result in thousands of dollars in repairs and enormous medical bills. What happens if the responsible party does not have enough insurance coverage to pay your bills?

At Phillips, Phillips & Smith-Delach, P.C., our personal injury lawyers have nearly a century of combined experience representing clients in Washington, Pittsburgh and the Mon Valley, and throughout southwestern Pennsylvania. We understand the stress and worry that typically follow a motor vehicle accident, and we can provide the effective representation you need.

In Washington, Allegheny, Greene, Fayette and Westmoreland counties, contact us today to discuss your case.

In Pennsylvania, insurance companies offer certain coverage policies to protect you after an accident.

  • Uninsured motorist: This policy is in place to protect you if the driver who caused your accident carries no insurance at all, or, if you were involved in a hit-and-run accident and couldn’t locate the at-fault party. In these situations, you can make a claim to your insurance company, and they pay for your accident and injuries from your own policy. In the event that you have a dispute with your carrier, an attorney can handle the negotiations for you.
  • Underinsured motorist: This policy is best described using numbers. If, for example, you are in an accident and your property damage and injuries amount to $50,000 in bills, what happens if the driver who caused the accident only has $30,000 in insurance coverage? Who pays the $20,000 gap? In the case of an underinsured motorist policy, your insurance carrier would pay the difference according to the amount of coverage that you have.

Unfortunately, your own insurance company doesn’t always treat you fairly when you make these claims. If you were injured in an accident or you have a dispute with your own insurance company, we encourage you to discuss the matter with an experienced attorney. Uninsured and underinsured motorist policies can be complex. Call or email our firm to schedule a consultation at our office, your home or hospital room.